No other industry matches the pharmaceutical sector for its diversity of applications and stringent specifications. There is simply no margin for error when it comes to pharmaceutical and health labeling and packaging solutions. Manufacturers must offer label materials that wrap around a wide array of substrates, tolerate sterilization procedures, detect tamper attempts and ensure migration-free adhesion, among other objectives.
Check out our pharmaceutical and healthcare label products »
Manufacturers and brand owners offer consumers containers in a wide array of shapes and sizes. Labels must provide a perfect seal to glass, cardboard, plastic, metal and other packaging materials with complex curves, sizes and diameters. Narrow-diameter items, such as tubes, vials and HDPE rods are among the most challenging to label.
In addition, pharmaceutical labels and packaging materials must meet tough safety regulations designed to protect consumers. Many pharmaceutical manufacturers take safety a step further by offering strong security features on their products.
Key categories include:
- Retail and over-the-counter pharmaceutical labels
- Nutraceutical labels, such as thoses used on vitamins, supplements
- Ethical pharmaceutical labels, such as prescription drugs
- Health care application labels
- Medical device labels
UPM Raflatac has developed a comprehensive product portfolio that meet these and other conditions. Among them you’ll find:
- Adhesives with low leachable characteristics to comply with recommendations and regulations for labeling on HDPE and other polyolefin containers
- Label materials that tolerate various sterilization processes, autoclave, gamma, EtO and e-beam
- Label products that can be stored at ambient conditions of up to -80 °C
- Ultra clear film products with luminescent properties to detect missing labels
- Strong materials for hanger labeling
- Face materials that are thermal transfer printable
- Tamper evident and void materials to ensure product authenticity
- Label materials for narrow-diameter items, glass or non-glass containers and labeling pouches
- Wash-off products for labeling containers used for logistics
- Products for healthcare applications include blood bag labels and patient wristbands
- Change management process for pharmaceutical adhesives in place
Need test tube labels? Think thin with narrow-diameter substrates
Narrow-diameter labeling takes performance to extremes! We have developed products that deliver an exceptional fit and work as a test tube label, or when used with ultra-thin cartridges, prefilled syringes, ampoules and vials. Test and see the performance on containers of 15 millimeters in diameter or less.
Contact us to find the right products for your glass and plastic surfaces. We know that these different substrates require a customized approach, as labels perform differently on glass than they do on containers made from cyclic olefin copolymer (COC), polyethylene (PE) or polypropylene (PP).
Trace products through the supply chain
Product traceability is critical in the pharmaceutical industry. As a consequence, pharmaceutical packaging providers typically print batch numbers and expiration dates on labels. End-users, such as retail pharmacists, often print labels on-site and in tight quarters. With their space efficiency and ease-of-use, thermal transfer face materials rule the day. Thermal transfer labels are both highly printable and provide a lasting image, which is essential in sensitive consumer-facing industries.